Carrie and randy share not one but two Wine Wednesdays, and discuss how to keep drinking wine while trying to lose weight
Carrie and Randy celebrate GlutenFest 2019 Italian style, and have a healthy Pinot paired dinner to recover.
Oxford Tuna Niçoise
- 1.5 pounds fresh ahi tuna steak
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 tbsp evoo
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 cups green beans washed and trimmed
- 5 oz feta cheese in brine
- 5 whole hard boiled eggs
- 1 whole red onion
- 1 jar capers
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp feta brine depending on salt preference
- 3 heaping tbsp good dijon mustard
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add in rice. As rice is added, the boiling will stop; bring back to a simmer and reduce the heat to keep at simmer. Cover and cook 18 minutes. Check on rice at 18 minute mark; if dry, add a half cup of water (or stock) and continue cooking covered for 5 more minutes. Continue adding a half cup for 5 minutes until rice is cooked through.
- Steam green beans 3 minutes (until slightly tender) and plunge into ice water bath to stop cooking.
- Dice feta cheese in 1/8 to ¼ inch cubes
- Dice red onion in ¼ inch cubes.
- Halve grape tomatoes lengthwise.
- Chop eggs quarters lengthwise and in half widthwise.
- Drain capers.
- Cut tuna steak into 4 long logs. Season each tuna log with 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper to taste (use more than you think you will need), and set aside. Heat a cast iron skillet (or other high heat metal) on the stove to medium high heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil and move pan to spread around. Add tuna steak logs and sear each side 30 seconds, turning each so that all 4 sides cook. Remove from pan immediately when done searing so that they do not continue cooking. Allow tuna logs to rest 3-4 minutes and slice each log into ¼ to ½ inch slices, against the grain.
- Assemble the dressing; adjust flavors to your specific taste using those ingredients (EVOO, Sherry vinegar, feta brine, Dijon mustard, thyme).
- Assemble each bowl: rice, green beans, tomatoes, red onion, feta, egg, capers. And lay even portions of the tuna slices on each bowl. Enjoy!
Carrie’s Potato Chip Crusted Fried Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breast tenders
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 bag potato chips (crushed) we used kettle cooked salt and pepper chips
- Take 2 pounds of chicken breast tenders.The night before cooking soak them in a ziplock of buttermilk with some six chili powder blend. To taste. Remember this is a marinade so the spice won’t be strong, I used 1.5 tsp.
- The next day remove the chicken 1 strip at a time. Dredge it in flour (gluten free if you prefer) dredge it in whipped eggs (3eggs), then dredge it in crushed salt and pepper kettle chips. I crushed them in a large ziplock and shook my tenders in it one at a time like shake and bake.
- Heat a pan of peanut oil (cast iron skillets are best) heat oil to 350 degrees (try to keep the oil at a consistent temp. Cook strips 4-6 at a time until dark golden brown, then flip until other side is dark golden. Cooking times vary, the best way to check doneness is to use a meat thermometer or to break open the first piece and check to make sure it is fully cooked.
- Remove from oil and let drain on paper towels for a few minutes.Sprinkle with salt and serve.
Randy and Carrie celebrate a friend’s birthday with fancy burgers and wine, and they finally share the Game of Thrones Finale menu!