Carrie and Randy recap their recent trip to Paso Robles as well as the most recent Wine Wednesday meal and wine pairings.
Carrie’s French Onion Recipe
Here is my French Onion Soup Recipe – It started as Martha Stewart’s recipe, but I changed quite a few things.
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-sized pats
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 large white onion
- 1 large red onion
- 2 large shallots
- 1 handful cipollini onions or pearl onions
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour or corn starch if you are gluten free
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 3 1/2 cups beef stock
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 small french baguette sliced into 3/4 inch thick pieces
- 12 ounces medium hard cheese i use gruyere with a little swiss, all large grated
- salt and pepper
- Cut large onions in half lengthwise and slice 1/4 in thick. Cut shallot in half and slice medium thin, cut cipollini or pearl onions in half or quarter depending on the size
- Melt butter and olive oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Add onions. Spread them out in as thin a layer as possible. Cook, stirring as needed to keep onions from sticking, until they are melting and soft, golden brown, and beginning to caramelize, about 1 hour. If you are having trouble with sticking, add a bit of water as needed.
- Sprinkle flour or corn starch over onions if using, and stir. Add sherry, stock, and thyme, and bring to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, for about 30 minutes, to allow the flavors to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast bread slices.
- Preheat broiler. Place 1 cup hot soup into four 13-ounce ramekins or ovenproof bowls. Arrange the bowls on a rimmed baked sheet. Place 2 slices of toasted bread over each bowl of soup to cover the surface of the soup completely. Sprinkle 3 ounces grated cheese over bread in each bowl, and place under broiler until cheese is melted and crusty brown around the edges. Watch carefully that bread doesn’t burn. Serve immediately.
Randy and Carrie talk about the insanely amazing 11 course new years eve meal they cooked, paired with the perfect wines, and shared with 12 friends and family