Carrie and Randy celebrate GlutenFest 2019 Italian style, and have a healthy Pinot paired dinner to recover.
Oxford Tuna Niçoise
- 1.5 pounds fresh ahi tuna steak
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 tbsp evoo
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 cups green beans washed and trimmed
- 5 oz feta cheese in brine
- 5 whole hard boiled eggs
- 1 whole red onion
- 1 jar capers
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp feta brine depending on salt preference
- 3 heaping tbsp good dijon mustard
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add in rice. As rice is added, the boiling will stop; bring back to a simmer and reduce the heat to keep at simmer. Cover and cook 18 minutes. Check on rice at 18 minute mark; if dry, add a half cup of water (or stock) and continue cooking covered for 5 more minutes. Continue adding a half cup for 5 minutes until rice is cooked through.
- Steam green beans 3 minutes (until slightly tender) and plunge into ice water bath to stop cooking.
- Dice feta cheese in 1/8 to ¼ inch cubes
- Dice red onion in ¼ inch cubes.
- Halve grape tomatoes lengthwise.
- Chop eggs quarters lengthwise and in half widthwise.
- Drain capers.
- Cut tuna steak into 4 long logs. Season each tuna log with 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper to taste (use more than you think you will need), and set aside. Heat a cast iron skillet (or other high heat metal) on the stove to medium high heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil and move pan to spread around. Add tuna steak logs and sear each side 30 seconds, turning each so that all 4 sides cook. Remove from pan immediately when done searing so that they do not continue cooking. Allow tuna logs to rest 3-4 minutes and slice each log into ¼ to ½ inch slices, against the grain.
- Assemble the dressing; adjust flavors to your specific taste using those ingredients (EVOO, Sherry vinegar, feta brine, Dijon mustard, thyme).
- Assemble each bowl: rice, green beans, tomatoes, red onion, feta, egg, capers. And lay even portions of the tuna slices on each bowl. Enjoy!
Carrie’s Potato Chip Crusted Fried Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breast tenders
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 bag potato chips (crushed) we used kettle cooked salt and pepper chips
- Take 2 pounds of chicken breast tenders.The night before cooking soak them in a ziplock of buttermilk with some six chili powder blend. To taste. Remember this is a marinade so the spice won’t be strong, I used 1.5 tsp.
- The next day remove the chicken 1 strip at a time. Dredge it in flour (gluten free if you prefer) dredge it in whipped eggs (3eggs), then dredge it in crushed salt and pepper kettle chips. I crushed them in a large ziplock and shook my tenders in it one at a time like shake and bake.
- Heat a pan of peanut oil (cast iron skillets are best) heat oil to 350 degrees (try to keep the oil at a consistent temp. Cook strips 4-6 at a time until dark golden brown, then flip until other side is dark golden. Cooking times vary, the best way to check doneness is to use a meat thermometer or to break open the first piece and check to make sure it is fully cooked.
- Remove from oil and let drain on paper towels for a few minutes.Sprinkle with salt and serve.
Randy and Carrie celebrate a friend’s birthday with fancy burgers and wine, and they finally share the Game of Thrones Finale menu!
Surf and Turf Alaska style, the penultimate Game of Thrones pairings and a surprise trip to Santa Barbara!