Oxford Tuna Niçoise
Traditional French Tuna Niçoise with a Dijon Sherry Vinaigrette over Brown Rice – Oxford family recipe!
- 1.5 pounds fresh ahi tuna steak
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 tbsp evoo
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 cups green beans washed and trimmed
- 5 oz feta cheese in brine
- 5 whole hard boiled eggs
- 1 whole red onion
- 1 jar capers
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp feta brine depending on salt preference
- 3 heaping tbsp good dijon mustard
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add in rice. As rice is added, the boiling will stop; bring back to a simmer and reduce the heat to keep at simmer. Cover and cook 18 minutes. Check on rice at 18 minute mark; if dry, add a half cup of water (or stock) and continue cooking covered for 5 more minutes. Continue adding a half cup for 5 minutes until rice is cooked through.
- Steam green beans 3 minutes (until slightly tender) and plunge into ice water bath to stop cooking.
- Dice feta cheese in 1/8 to ¼ inch cubes
- Dice red onion in ¼ inch cubes.
- Halve grape tomatoes lengthwise.
- Chop eggs quarters lengthwise and in half widthwise.
- Drain capers.
- Cut tuna steak into 4 long logs. Season each tuna log with 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper to taste (use more than you think you will need), and set aside. Heat a cast iron skillet (or other high heat metal) on the stove to medium high heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil and move pan to spread around. Add tuna steak logs and sear each side 30 seconds, turning each so that all 4 sides cook. Remove from pan immediately when done searing so that they do not continue cooking. Allow tuna logs to rest 3-4 minutes and slice each log into ¼ to ½ inch slices, against the grain.
- Assemble the dressing; adjust flavors to your specific taste using those ingredients (EVOO, Sherry vinegar, feta brine, Dijon mustard, thyme).
- Assemble each bowl: rice, green beans, tomatoes, red onion, feta, egg, capers. And lay even portions of the tuna slices on each bowl. Enjoy!